Sunday, November 11, 2012

Greetings viewers!

I hope you all had a restful weekend. I have finally been able to finish my latest project on Carol Ronen this past Friday. However, I am still waiting to hear back on some edits from my supervisor so I will post the link next week. I hope you are all excited to see that display because this woman was extremely active in issues such as same sex rights and child/adolescent care. I had honestly never heard of her before, but I could not believe everything she has done. This is one of the first times when I realized how difficult it was creating a display for a person. There were just too many things to share and I also did not want my piece to be too long. As a result, I did struggle more than usual with creating this display, but I hope you all enjoy it.

As for this upcoming week! I am still going through our collections trying to look for areas I have not covered. As a part of this internship, I want to really expand my understanding of women leadership through a multitude of lenses. Therefore, the collection on Church Women United Peoria has really caught my attention. This is a church organization founded in 1941 that represents the Roman Catholic and Protestant faith. They identify as a racially, culturally, theologically inclusive Christian women’s movement, celebrating unity in diversity and working for a world of peace and justice. There are still operating today with over 1, 200 local and state units in the US and Puerto Rico. 

The fact that this group works specifically in Puerto Rico is something that caught my attention right away. There are a lot of material in our archives that speaks to the work committed within the United States, and so I believe that Puerto Rico would provide a different insight. Their culture is different than ours and their national language is not even English. Although, this may already seem as common knowledge, I believe this would greatly affect the inner components of an organization. 

For the next week, I will be going through all of their documented notes from meetings and programs they held. I do not believe that this collection contains photos, so I will need to search on the web. For example, some events that I want to discuss in my next display would be May Fellowship Day (May), World Day of Prayer (March), and World Community Day (November).

Well, I hope everyone has a great week and thank you so much for reading. I appreciate all of the support.

Take care


No comments:

Post a Comment