Friday, November 30, 2012

Greetings!

Hello my friends, I hope you are all doing well.


I have completed my newest exhibit on Loyola's own, Feminist Forum. Please check it out.


http://wla-archives.tumblr.com/

This past week has been quite exciting at the WLA. I was asked to transcribe some documents that recently came in. This was quite an interesting experience because the documents were near impossible to read. I had to hold them up against the light and literally attempted to define each letter. The document was so badly maintained and the print was nearly all gone. Fortunately, I was transcribing letters/cards so each one did not take as long. I want to thank the graduate students for letting me help them!


Next on the list has been my newest exhibit that I am working on. The Taproots is a non-profit organization dedicated to educating young adults/teens on safe sex and also providing services to young parents.

This is a description of the group from my display.



Taproots was founded by Monica Cahill, BVM, and began as a center for teenage mothers in the rectory of St. Thomas Aquinas Church in 1978. In 1980, Taproots (Teen-Age Parents Realizing Ongoing Orientation Toward Success) moved to a six-room flat at 2424 W. Polk St. Located on Chicago’s West Side, Taproots was offered its services to help ease the difficulties of teen-age pregnancy and single parenthood.

Taproots’ initial focus on teenage pregnancy eventually expanded to include an outreach program which serviced the entire community. Its three-pronged program included empowerment training for young mothers, a child development laboratory for parenting instruction, and adolescent pregnancy forums held throughout the community. Taproots focused on skills training in parenting, nutrition, hygiene, career awareness, and assistance in reaching proper community resources to help teenage parents.

Here are some photos from our archives.








Please check back next week!

Take care everyone,

Sebastian

No comments:

Post a Comment