Thursday, September 6, 2012

Orientation!

Greetings! I have just completed my first day of work at the WLA. For those of you who are not familiar with Piper Hall, it is a four story building on campus that holds the archives for many organizations and people that represent female leadership. Although today was only my orientation, I was given an intensive tour of the facility and I learned in extensive detail how the dynamics of archiving works. For example, I spent about a good thirty minutes surveying the basement because this is where the majority of all of the information is stored. I learned that each column is broken down into 4 letters (A-D) and each row is broken down into (1-6). The number 1 represents the top row which is always empty and the numbers only go up with each row going down. I hope that was not too confusing. My supervisor told me that I will be working on a number of research projects that can cover anything from specific events to organizations, to individual activists. This weekend I will spend time online searching more about topics that interest me and I begin my official research on Tuesday morning. I will have a lot more to say then, but I am very excited to have this position and to see what happens. Lastly, I inserted a photo that I learned a little bit about from my supervisor. The artist's name is Virginia Gaertner Broderick and she is one of the most influential religious artists of the 21st century. Also, she attended Mundelein college and graduated magna cum laude with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in 1939. This is only the beginning of the thorough investigations I will conduct, so everyone should be waiting in suspense for my next post. Thank you and take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment