Friday, September 28, 2012

Good Afternoon!

So I have been diligently working on my next project which I discussed last week a little bit. Mary Agnes Curran was an exceptional woman and she not only did service in the United States, but she also worked in Nicaragua and Mexico. She actually stayed in Nicaragua during their revolution and has documents she and other members in her order wrote. These documents describe living through specific battles and they represent the instability and danger within the country during this time. Unfortunately, due to the danger, Curran ended up leaving and moving to Oaxaca for ten years. In this time, she created a women's center that focused on teaching women how to provide for themselves and their families. There were certain instructional classes held that discussed nutrition and parenting techniques. This center also provided these women with jobs within the town so they could financially provide for their families or at least improve their living situation. Curran worked in this center until 1994 and then she decided to move back to the United States where she spent the last eight years of her life working in New Mexico.

This woman was extremely interesting and was very much driven by her faith. As a sister of the Maryknoll order, she began to develop a strong appreciation for the Latin culture. Before embarking on her mission trips to these Spanish speaking countries, she actually took Spanish language courses where she became fluent. In her final years when she was working in New Mexico, she created a similar instructional program as the one in Mexico. However, this focused on how to improve living conditions for undocumented immigrants.

In the display I am currently putting together, I am have already scanned some of the certificates she achieved. She obtain her second M.A. in Religious Studies from Mundelein College in 1982.

We are quite fortunate to say that this woman is a graduate of Mundelein College.

I also plan to scan the written documents of her stay in Nicaragua and make them a main focus of my display. I have been reading through her personal written entries that explain how this experience affected her, but it is not yet clear what she was specficially doing in the country. I will set out right now to answer this question.

Please stand by for the link to my first tumblr post for the WLA!

Take care!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I am looking for my Godmother, all I have are some letter from her and pictures of her last visit. She signed the postcards as Mary Ines Curran, Mary Agnes, Maryagnes Curran. I have been looking online and I think this is she. She wrote to me from Oaxaca, Mexico. I am from Veracruz , Mexico and she went to visit me many times. How can I obtain pictures of her? I want to see if she is the one I am looking for. The last letter she sent me was from Oaxaca in 1993 and she told me she was leaving Mexico. Any information of how can I obtain her picture will help me a lot! I live in Texas now. Thanks! I Veronica Zambrano vero.zambrano@att.net

    ReplyDelete