Sunday, October 7, 2012

Good Morning,

I have been finally able to upload the link for my first tumblr post, which I submitted earlier this week. As I said last week, I had been working on another exhibit and that was of Mary Agnes Curran. I should be able to upload this post in the coming week so please check it out. Now that I feel more experienced with using the archives and locating information on certain individuals, I believe that it is time to try something a bit different. The next project I am selecting will focus on the history of a very important organization called the UNIFEM Chicago Chapter. Below you will see an image of their organization and they are quite unique in the global presence they maintain. However, for this project, I will only be focusing on the group based in Chicago that was created in 1989 as a volunteer organization that worked to support projects in developing nations of the world through the affiliation with UNIFEM. In the files, there is large overview that describes what the history of this group and the different events and programs they have created. Also, there is more specific information that covers correspondence, membership informaiton, by-law revision and annual reports. My goal with this project is to spend time researching every aspect of this group with the eleven years worth of material that we have. From there, I will begin to focus on certain individuals who truly made an impact and the certain programs they created. I will also investigate the goals of these specifics programs and why certain issues were being addressed in certain areas. In boxes 4-6 in the archives, there are photographs, VHS tapes, and textile souvenirs from past meetings. I will especially take advantage of the photographs for my display, but will also gather as much information as possible from the tapes. I believe that it is essential to include as much visual primary source material as possible. It is simply a stronger and more stimulating way to present information.
My research begins next week, so I will keep everyone posted.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment