Friday, October 19, 2012

Good Afternoon,

This week has been going very well for the Women and Leadership Archives! We actually held an event today and the description is below. If anyone was able to attend, I hope they had a wonderful time.

The Women & Leadership Archives Speaker Series
Paradoxical Patriarchs: Reconstructing Masculinity in Revolutionary Virginia
Presented by Aaron M. Brunmeir


As for my work this week, I have been spending a lot of going through correspondences and images, so the process is taking a bit longer than I had expected. Although the archives are stored at Loyola and that Chicago had its own branch of the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom, there is not a lot of information available. In my display, I will do the best that I can to include information about the programs held in Chicago. I wanted to upload some interesting photos and other information I have been looking at this week.







 


 These only represent a few of the images I have been going through during the past week. I am designing a display that will show one image and then switch off to a letter or correspondence. There is actually quite a lot of textual material that I have to work with. This organization is quite interesting in that it focuses on a wide variety of issues. If you look at the beginning images, these are all of magazines and their covers represent the different projects of the WILPF. They have focused especially on ending nuclear warfare, world hungry, sexual assault,etc. Overall, there is a theme of empowering women to enact change within their communities. I have even checked out their site this past week and they only employ women. On their international office website, their employee statement for internships reads, "*The internships are reserved for women in recognition of the fact that women remain largely excluded from positions concerned with questions of foreign policy, international relations and management, although their presence in these crucial areas is much needed. Priority is given to women between the ages of 20 and 30." 

I will keep everyone updated as I continue to work on my display. Thank you for reading!


Take care




**All information was provided by Women and Leadership Archives and  http://www.wilpfinternational.org/


No comments:

Post a Comment